The InfoBurst Platform is a state of the art Business Intelligence publishing system that can refresh, burst and deliver reports and dashboards to your users, customers and partners. InfoBurst is used worldwide as the premier bursting tool for BusinessObjects, Xcelsius/SAP Dashboards, Tableau, and Microsoft Reporting Services. InfoBurst is a robust and flexible platform that is designed to handle the most complex Enterprise push-model report delivery tasks. It also has a developer API, command script interface and an intuitive user interface to enable users and administrators to fluidly manage the report publishing environment.
PDF version of this document available at the bottom of this article.
License Types & Major Features
BI Report Bursting,
Publishing, & Delivery
Data Caching from SAP BusinessObjects
Data Caching from Database
(requires add-on license)
Report & Document Types
InfoBurst supports processing, publication, and delivery of a wide range of Business Intelligence reports, queries and traditional document types.
- Web Intelligence XI3.x and BI4.x
- Desktop Intelligence XI3.x and BI4.x
- Crystal Reports XI3.x and BI4.x
- SAP Dashboards 4.x, Xcelsius 2008 and 4.5 (SWF)
Tableau 10.3-10.5, Tableau 2018.1
Refresh Tableau Workbooks and deliver in PDF, PNG Image, and CSV formats
SQL Server Reporting Services 2005-2016
Refresh or burst database queries and deliver in Excel and HTML formats
Traditional File Types
Deliver the following static files alongside Business Intelligence report content:
- Adobe PDF
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft PowerPoint
InfoBurst offers a variety of options for conducting and controlling Business Intelligence report bursting. The unique drag-and-drop workflow makes building and managing bursts easy.
- Multi-pass and single-pass report bursting for Web Intelligence, Desktop Intelligence, Crystal Reports and Microsoft Reporting Services reports
- Control multiple report parameters or filters with a single database query or Excel file
Bursting Parameter Values
- Dynamically provide parameter and filter values using database queries, Excel or text files
- Multi-Column List allows for easy data source management within the InfoBurst user interface
- Parameter macros used to handle dynamic dates and bursting context
- Parameter aliasing used to simplify bursting parameter management
- Supports Web Intelligence context and optional prompts
- Use Custom Excel-based calendar (fiscal calendar) to drive date and other parameter types
- Parallel processing mode allows for greater throughput in high-volume bursting scenarios
- Utilize multiple simultaneous connections to BusinessObjects XI and Microsoft Reporting Services systems
- Control BusinessObjects processing servers used to burst and publish reports
- Use platform queues to precisely control throughput based on document type
Business Intelligence reports can be published in a variety of formats for delivery.
- Delimited Text/CSV: Report and data provider-level data
- Excel: Includes post-processing functions to augment Excel formatting. Supports .xlsx format for publishing reports that exceed 65K rows.
- HTML: Deliver report content inline in an email or produce Web content direct from Business Intelligence reports
- Native BusinessObjects: Deliver native BusinessObjects report types (.wid/.rep/.rpt)
- PNG Image: Ideal for mobile device deliveries and ensures consistent viewing experience on all mobile platforms
- Qlik Data File (QVX): Generate QVX file for use in Qlik data visualization
- Tableau Data Source: Generate TDE or Hyper files for use in Tableau Workbook design
- Tableau Workbook (TWBX): Deliver Tableau Workbook with personalized data
Split & Combine
Publish only select Web Intelligence or Desktop Intelligence report tabs in a single PDF, Excel or HTML file.
Group content from multiple reports of varying types (Web Intelligence, Crystal, etc.) into a single PDF or Excel file. Group content by burst, bursting parameter value(s) or email recipient.
Compress & Encrypt
- Compress and deliver files resulting from published reports. ZIP files can be encrypted using standard or AES encryption
- Encrypt PDF and Excel files natively
- Define global passwords or deliver files with user-customized password
File & Folder Name Customization
Customize file and folder names with information like bursting parameter values and formatted date stamps. A wide variety of system macros are available for file and folder name customization.
InfoBurst can deliver report content and dashboards to a variety of destinations.
- Inline HTML report content or file attachments
- Custom email subject lines and FROM addresses
- TO, CC and BCC functionality
- Source email addresses from database, Excel, Active Directory and BusinessObjects
- FTP Secure Server and SSH FTP
- InfoBurst Portal
- Network Printer
- Conduct true printer bursting (report1 to printer1, report2 to printer2…)
- Network Share
- Tableau Server
- WebDAV Folder
- XI Server
- Deliver to public folders and XI user Inboxes
- Assign categories to delivered content
- Schedule instances of existing reports and customize instance names
- Custom Command
- Programmers interface for custom delivery destinations
Define publication format and delivery destination options in a template for re-use and easy burst management.
Deliver content as reports are processed or deliver only when all report processing has completed successfully.
Test complex report processing and publication scenarios without delivery actual content.
Suppress the delivery of a report when the report contains no data. Notify users via email in the event of an empty report.
The InfoBurst Portal is a web portal used to host Business Intelligence report content produced by InfoBurst. Users consume rich content within the portal using HTML, PNG Image, and PDF formats. Produce and store multiple versions of a single report. Group together content from multiple reports. Secure content by InfoBurst user group.
Dashboard Data Management
InfoBurst includes a robust toolset for managing and delivering data to SAP Dashboards/Xcelsius. Dashboard data can be cached from a variety of data sources. The XML Data Cache (XDC) is then made available to the dashboard using a variety of customer dashboard connectors. Use of the XDC can significantly shorten the dashboard design process and greatly improve dashboard response times.
Dashboard data can be sourced from:
- Web Intelligence
- Direct data queries or execution of stored procedures
A single XML Data Cache can contain multiple data sources of varying types. The XDC includes options to arrange data in crosstab format and aggregate the data using various calculations. The cache can then be scheduled for regular refresh. A single cache can feed multiple dashboards and a single dashboard can consume multiple caches.
The cache can be further manipulated using the power of SQL. A cache query can be used to parse large caches and feed to a dashboard only the data required based on a view or selection by a dashboard consumer. A single cache can support multiple cache queries, each returning different subsets of data for various applications in a dashboard.
SAP Dashboards Connectors
InfoBurst includes a variety of dashboard connector components. These connectors allow the dashboard designer to access the cache in various ways and add value to the dashboard by leveraging other connector options like database writeback and real-time database read. InfoBurst dashboard connectors are BI Mobile-compatible (BI4.1+).
- Cache Connector: Consume one or more caches from a dashboard. Can be used to consume cache data in a connected dashboard or automatically embed data for a disconnected dashboard.
- Cache Query Connector: Execute one or more pre-defined SQL queries against a cache and deliver the resulting data to a dashboard.
- Database Writeback Connector: Capture dashboard consumer input or component interactions and write the information back to any database table.
- Database Query Connector: Execute real-time database queries and deliver the resulting data to a dashboard.
- Save As Excel Connector: Enable dashboard consumers to save data from one or more dashboard components to Excel.
- Crosstab Flip Connector: Enables the dashboard designer to flip the axis of existing crosstabs of data on the fly and make the new data available to other dashboard components.
- Crosstab Builder Connector: Enables the dashboard designer to create crosstabs of data on the fly using existing caches.
The XML Data Cache can be secured to ensure only authorized dashboard consumers can view cache data. Cache security can also be used to serve personalized data to a dashboard based on the consumer’s identity.
Access Cache Query data using any OData v4+ reporting tool.
A SWF file published from Xcelsius can be delivered to a variety of destinations in both connected and disconnected modes.
A connected dashboard can be delivered to the following destinations:
- Network Share
- WebDAV Folder
- XI Server
A dashboard data source can be burst to produce unique subsets of data within the cache. These unique data sets can then be embedded in the dashboard (.swf). Each recipient receives an offline dashboard with personalized data.
HTML5 Web Applications (InfoBurst Apps)
InfoBurst automates the production and delivery of Tableau Data Extracts (TDE) and Tableau Hyper files using SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence data and direct database queries. Burst and deliver personalized Tableau Workbooks (TWBX), requiring only the Tableau Reader for consumption. Schedule data refreshes using the InfoBurst XML Data Cache (XDC) and connect Tableau to the cache using Tableau’s Web Data Connector.
InfoBurst automates the production and delivery of Qlik Data Files (QVX) using SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence data and direct database queries. Burst and deliver personalized Qlik Data Files.
Actions & Alerts
InfoBurst offers a variety of actions and alerts that can be executed based on the status of a job (start, completion or failure), including report bursting/delivery, XDC refresh and dashboard delivery.
- Create a File: Create a trigger file on the network for use by another application
- Run a Command: Execute any program or application
- Run a Query: Execute a database query or stored procedure
- Set a Trigger: Internal schedule trigger
- Send Email: Send an email notification
- Start a Burst, XDC or schedule: Execute other jobs or schedules in the InfoBurst system
Automatically send email alerts to users and administrators when a job fails. The email alert can include inline runtime logging for immediate access to runtime information and error messages.
InfoBurst includes a robust scheduler for scheduling reporting bursting/delivery, cache refreshes and dashboard deliveries.
The scheduler offers a wide variety of scheduling frequencies, including custom date selection and macro-based scheduling.
Jobs can be scheduled using external events like the existence of a trigger file or the results of a database query. Date/time frequencies and events can be combined for complex scheduling requirements.
The InfoBurst user interface is entirely web-based and can be access from any web browser. The unique interface makes user navigation and object management easy with drag-and-drop functionality. User interface single sign-on and SSL are supported.
A variety of information is logged and easily accessed by the InfoBurst user or administrator, including:
- Detail job runtime
- InfoBurst user actions
- Document deliveries
- Server health
- Security access
- Real-time system performance charts
User & Group Administration
Users and groups are easily managed via the InfoBurst user interface. Automatically manage users and groups using Authentication Data Source (Database or Excel) or Active Directory.
API & Shell Interface
The InfoBurst platform includes an Application Programmers Interface for integration between InfoBurst and your own applications. The command shell interface provides the administrator command-line style access to the InfoBurst system.
The InfoBurst Platform provides an OData feed (v4+) for reporting on usage, runtime detail, and object metadata.
Administration, usage and troubleshooting documentation is available at the InfoSol Helpdesk (help.infosol.com). The resource includes build release information, announcements and detailed how-to videos.
The following are minimum requirements for the InfoBurst server platform:
- Windows Server 2003-2016 (x86 and x64)
- Virtual servers supported
- 2.5GHz Dual-core CPU
- 8GB RAM
- 1GB disk storage
- Microsoft .NET Frameworks 3.5 SP1 and 4.6
- Dedicated database repository (SQL Server or Oracle)
Business Intelligence Report Bursting, Publishing & Delivery
Dashboard Data Caching & Dashboard Delivery