Start a new topic
Answered

Event Based Schedule Running Past Midnight

Customer

If I have a burst that runs past midnight, will it complete? The Burst may have a multivalued parameter list that supplies multiple values that causes documents to repeatably run with different values and these iterations may run past midnight. What are the implications?

------------------------

This will be just fine. As long as you kick off the burst and it doesn't not have any unusual hickups.

There are a few timeouts that to come into play when trying to run a report for enormous lists of values. If this happens then we can cross that bridge when we get there.

But in short the time of day will not have an impact on whether it completes or not. 

A little snippet from my notes below. They also mentions how IBE will continue to run schedules if the service comes down past midnight and has to restart which is pretty cool. 

"When IBE rebuilds at the 24:00:00 hour it will remove everything that has COMPLETED if a schedule has started and is waiting it will continue to wait past the Schedule rebuild. If a schedule expiry is 6 hours and is started at 22:00:00 it will wait until 04:00:00 the following day."

I have tested this in my environment and confirmed that IBE WILL run any schedules that do not run because of the service being down.

EX 1:
Burst 1 Scheduled for 23:00:00 Friday
Service is stopped at 22:00:00 Friday

Restart and Expiry time:

Scenario 1
Schedule Expiry is set to 6 hours
Service is restarted at 04:00:00 Saturday
Schedule Run = True

Scenario 2
Schedule Expiry is set to 2 hours
Service is restarted at 04:00:00 Saturday
Schedule Run = False
"

-Bryan D

------------------------

Customer:

Good to know. However, most of these bursts will be scheduled using an event and not a date/time. Will that make a difference?

------------------------

Agent:

What kind of event? 

So we are on the same page.

-Bryan

------------------------

Customer:

Bursts being executed using a schedule object that has on its Frequency tab "On Events Only".

We've recently discovered that there's a good probability of the event that triggers the bursts may arrive about 10 PM and the bursts being executed may run longer than 2 hours. I want to make sure this will not be an issue as long as the event occurs before midnight.

------------------------

Best Answer

Agent:

Every schedule has a Schedule Expiry. This is in place to wait for the event to become true.

So yes, as long as the event kicks off before the schedule expiry. The schedule will run.

Example:

Schedule A: Starts at 22:00:00 with a schedule expiry of 6 hours (default).

If the schedule is event based then the it will wait until 4:00:00 the next day for the event to become true.

-Bryan D

Answer

Agent:

Every schedule has a Schedule Expiry. This is in place to wait for the event to become true.

So yes, as long as the event kicks off before the schedule expiry. The schedule will run.

Example:

Schedule A: Starts at 22:00:00 with a schedule expiry of 6 hours (default).

If the schedule is event based then the it will wait until 4:00:00 the next day for the event to become true.

-Bryan D

I do not see a schedule expiry for schedules that run on Events only. I do see one if I switch to a date.

That's correct. Event based schedules do not recognize time because they are basically live all the time so they do not expire.

If you have a schedule that starts at 10PM and add an event then the schedule expiry will come into play.

-Bryan D

Let me pose this scenario. I have a schedule that executes a burst triggered by an event. This even occurs at 10 PM.

The burst (which hopefully starts at 10PM) consists of refreshes of a single document that takes 30 minutes for each iteration to refresh in BI4. In the burst, there is a parameter source that uses values from a list object with 10 values. The source has the multi-pass option set. In effect the burst executes 10 times each refresh taking 30 minutes: total time 5 hours.

This burst starts at 10 PM and we would expect it to complete at 3 AM right? However, since it spans dates would there be an particular complications from it doing that (other than making sure the document does not reference any real-time dates/times).

You are good to go. The burst will complete just fine.

The dates will be retrieved by the burst as soon as is starts. Once they are found (all 10) those will be used and only those for the duration of the burst. 

That was my primary concern. Thanks for clarifying. You can close the ticket.

Login or Signup to post a comment